For information only - not an official document
8 May 2012
International Narcotics Control Board commences its 104th session;
Raymond Yans elected as President of the Board
VIENNA, 8 May (UN Information Service) - The International Narcotics Control Board commenced its 104th session on 7 May in Vienna and will remain in session until 18 May 2012.
On 8 May, the Board held the election of its Bureau with the following results:
- Raymond Yans - President of the Board
- Lochan Naidoo - First Vice-President
- Viroj Sumyai - Second Vice-President of the Board and Chair of the Standing Committee on Estimates
- Francisco Thoumi - Rapporteur
The Board also elected officers as follows:
- Jorge Montaño - Chair of the Committee on Finance and Administration
- Galina Korchagina - Vice-Chair of the Standing Committee on Estimates
- David T. Johnson - Member of the Committee on Finance and Administration
- Marc Moinard - Member of the Standing Committee on Estimates and Member of the Committee on Finance and Administration
- Wayne Hall - Member of the Standing Committee on Estimates
- Rajat Ray - Member of the Standing Committee on Estimates
- Ahmed Kamal Eldin Samak - Member of the Standing Committee on Estimates
- Werner Sipp - Member of the Standing Committee on Estimates
The members of the Bureau were elected for one-year terms, until the beginning of the 107th session of the Board in May 2013.
During the present session, the Board will continue to address the challenges of international drug control, including by analyzing the international drug control situation, examining treaty compliance, reviewing the movement of narcotic drugs, psychotropic substances and precursor chemicals for licit purposes, and reviewing the supply of opiate raw materials and demand for opiates for medical and scientific purposes.
The Board is the independent and quasi-judicial body established by the Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs of 1961 to promote and monitor Government compliance with the three international drug control conventions: the 1961 Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs, the 1971 Convention on Psychotropic Substances; and the 1988 Convention against Illicit Traffic in Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances.
* *** *
For further information please contact:
Drug Control Officer, INCB Secretariat
Telephone: (+43-1) 26060-5638