For information only - not an official document
3 July 2018
Media representatives are invited to the opening of the
Exhibition "My Planet, My Future: Space for the Sustainable Development Goals"
10 July 2018, 6:00 p.m.
Visitors' Lobby, United Nations Headquarters, New York, United States
VIENNA/NEW YORK, 3 July (United Nations Information Service) - The United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA) and CANEUS International invite media representatives to the opening ceremony of the exhibition "My Planet, My Future: Space for the Sustainable Development Goals". The opening will be held on Tuesday, 10 July 2018, at 6:00 p.m. in the Visitors' Lobby of the United Nations Headquarters (UNHQ) in New York and will be followed by a reception.
The exhibition illustrates how space science, technology and applications can be used to build sustainable and resilient societies. It shows space-related case studies from around the world with a focus on the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) under review at the High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development, which is held at UNHQ from 9 to 18 July, namely:
- Goal 6: Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
- Goal 7: Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
- Goal 11: Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
- Goal 12: Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- Goal 15: Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss
- Goal 17: Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the Global Partnership for Sustainable Development.
The opening ceremony of the exhibition will include remarks from
- Amina Mohammed, United Nations Deputy Secretary-General
- Simonetta Di Pippo, UNOOSA Director
- Pierre Delsaux, Deputy Director General at the European Commission's Directorate General for the Internal Market, Industry, Entrepreneurship and Small and Medium Enterprises
- Carlo des Dorides, Executive Director of the European Global Navigation Satellite Systems Agency
- Milind Pimprikar, CANEUS International Chair (moderator).
The exhibition is organized by NGO CANEUS International with the support of UNOOSA, and designed by CANEUS partner MM Activ Sci-Tech Communications. The exhibition is sponsored by the European Global Navigation Satellite Agency (GSA) and the German Aerospace Center (DLR). It will be open at UNHQ from 10 July to 5 September 2018.
Media representatives who wish to attend the opening ceremony and reception and who do not have accreditation to UNHQ can request accreditation here .
* *** *
For more information, please contact:
United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA)
Telephone: (+43 699) 1459 8718