For information only – not an official document
27 May 2021
Journalists invited to cover the launch of the
GlobE Network - Cross-border cooperation to end corruption
A special event of UNGASS 2021 against corruption
VIENNA, 27 May (UN Information Service) - A new global network to end transnational corruption will be launched during the first-ever UN General Assembly Special Session (UNGASS) on corruption. The Global Operational Network of Anti-Corruption Law Enforcement Authorities (GlobE Network) will ensure that all States parties to the UN Convention against Corruption (UNCAC) are able to connect anti-corruption authorities with their counterparts across the globe for faster, more efficient prosecution of corrupt networks and practices.
It will offer secure channels for peer-to-peer informal information exchange on specific cases, legislation, intelligence and tools. The GlobE Network will be headquartered in Vienna at the UN Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC).
Thursday, 3 June 2021 at 14:30 – 16:00 hrs Vienna Time CEST (08:30 – 10:00 hrs New York City Time)
In person at the Vienna International Centre, Conference Building M
Online participation: Link will be shared upon registration
- Ms. Ghada Waly, Executive Director, UN Office on Drugs and Crime
- H.E. Mr. Mazin Ibrahim M Al Kahmous, President, Oversight and Anti-Corruption Authority, Nazaha, Saudi Arabia
- H.E. Mr. Jorge Bermudez Soto, Comptroller General, Chile
- H.E. Mr. Wagner Rosario, Minister, Office of the Comptroller General, Brazil
- H.E. Mr. Sergej Sekulovic, Minister of Interior of Montenegro
Panel Discussion and Q&A
- Ms. Greta Fenner, Basel Institute on Governance
- Mr. Jean-François Bohnert, Chief Public Prosecutor, Head of the National Financial Prosecution Office, France
- Ms. Shamila Batohi, Head of the National Prosecuting Authority, South Africa
- Mr. Alan Bacarese, Director of Investigations, Strategy and Operations, World Bank Group Integrity Vice Presidency
Additional speakers and panellists will be confirmed in the coming days. Visit: http://globenetwork.unodc.org/
To register as an online observer, please email globenetwork[at]un.org
Registration for online attendance closes one hour before the launch.
In person Participation
All journalists, including those accredited to the UN in Vienna, who plan to attend in person, need to register by C.O.B on Wednesday 2 June 2021 by writing to press.vienna[at]un.org.
Member States and key speakers will make transcriptions and statements available to journalists at their own discretion.
Join the conversation on Twitter by using the hashtag #GlobENetwork and follow @UNODC and @MajlessiUN for updates.
* *** *
For further information, please contact:
Chief, UNODC Advocacy Section
Mobile: (+43-699) 1458-3225
Associate Programme Officer, Office of the UNODC Executive Director
Mobile: (+43 699) 1459 5244